What is the FNMIEAO?
The First Nations, Métis & Inuit Education Association of Ontario is a subject association for educators teaching First Nations, Métis and Inuit Studies, and Native Languages in Ontario, Canada. We support and help all educators understand issues related to First Nation, Métis, and Inuit Peoples in Canada as well as offer strategies for teaching this content to all learners.
We are a leader in First Nations, Métis, and Inuit education in Ontario.
Our purpose is to support and promote the provision of quality education on histories, worldviews, and knowledge systems that is rooted in the experiences and perspectives of First Nations, Métis and Inuit Peoples.
- To promote strong First Nations, Métis, and Inuit Studies and Language programs across Ontario
- To provide a forum for the exchange of ideas among those involved in First Nations, Métis, and Inuit education
- To provide leadership in and advocacy for First Nations, Métis, and Inuit education and languages
- To represent teachers in these subject areas via the Ontario Teachers Federation Curriculum Council
- To create and facilitate authentic learning opportunities and professional development
- To liaise with First Nations, Métis, and Inuit educational organizations
- To collaborate with community partners to create high quality, comprehensive resources
- To support the process of reconciliation in classrooms and school communities